Retailers have remembered our demand for comfy and cute during the pandemic by flooding the stores with tons of loungy, matching short sets this summer that are perfect for post-pool, post-beach relaxation. The T-town choices are everywhere, from Target to TJ Maxx. Online options, on Steinmart.com (yep, it’s still alive online) and boutiques such as Red Dress Boutique are even more stylish. Definitely a trend to stock up on!
Today, Posh Boutique is offering an amazing pandemic deal for shoppers. Grab a bag, fill it with up to 10 items (select merchandise) and pay just $20! I was just there yesterday and y’all, there are DVF and Michael Kors dresses for $2! Not to mention cute tops and bottoms. Racks and racks of deals that you can fill your bag with and spoil yourself! And while you’re there, you can check out some cute full-price items too, including new Louis Vuitton arrivals and an incredible lot of new silk scarves that just came in. Happy Saturday!
A few days into social distancing and self-quarantine, I have watched way too many episodes of The Pioneer Woman. Seriously, she is so intriguing. She cooks amazing food and is always happy. ALWAYS. LIKE EVERY SINGLE SECOND. I just want to see her get mad one time! I also love reading the Facebook posts about how we’ll all come out of this as better people – fit because we have exercised every day (sure!) and smarter because we have read many novels (can’t seem to sit still through one!)
So, in that spirit, here are a few fun things to consider:
Trying out a new shampoo and conditioner – Jennifer Garner made me do it. She’s a queen and I love her and she uses Virtue Labs products, so I ordered a sample and now the full-size versions – they arrived by mail pretty quickly. I hope the magic Alpha Keratin will make my hair look amazing, but I’m willing to blindly follow Garner’s advice right now.
Working out to Fitness Blender videos on YouTube – These are short and sweet and very doable. Ranging in length from 10 to 50 minutes, they switch things up and make working out fun. I especially love their workouts for people who get bored easily. Plus, Kelly — who does most of the workouts — is very real and not perfect and makes you feel like you have a workout buddy each time.
Lounging in pajamas – Amazon still has many sets from stylish satin to sporty and comfy. It looks like average delivery is a week out, but EVEN BETTER YET, you could stop by local boutique Bravo, which is still open in Plaza Colonial and continues to post all of their items on Facebook and Instagram.
Hang in there everyone!
One of the most epic fashion guidebooks out there may have been the 1980s The Official Preppy Handbook, which turned a sarcastic, yet truthful lens on high society and how to achieve it. Having observed Foothills life in this desert city for two decades now, I’d like to offer up my own little tongue-in-cheek guide – The Desert Housewife Survival Guide – for those days when you have to run kids to school, go to the grocery store, try to work out and still feel somewhat pretty. Like you think you look effortless, but really, it took some commitment. Enjoy and feel free to add your own:
- Wear stylish workout clothes – Most of us can just throw on some Marshalls’ leggings and slim-fitting knock-off jacket and head out, but if I’m being truthful, it’s when you wear lululemon and Athleta that you feel like a BOSS.
- Baseball hat AND makeup – College-branded or vintage, trucker or sleek and sporty, wearing a baseball hat will not only hide your unwashed hair but puts a laser focus on your beautiful eyes. BUT, said eyes must have mascara and a full-face of makeup is even better.
- Tennis skirt – Even if you don’t play, it looks hotter than leggings or bike shorts in the spring and summer. A pink one is best, but any Easter egg color is perfect. Pair with self-tanner unless you are blessed with perfect skin.
- Cowboy boots – Are you tired of flip flops all year long? A pair of cowboy boots dresses up jeans, shorts, a dress, leggings. ANYTHING.
- Perfumed lotion – As it gets hotter, the perfect foil to swass and swoob. (coined words courtesy of my friend Sara)
- Designer bag – Whether it’s new or used, a designer bag makes anything better. Even if you haven’t showered and are literally done with everyone. Carrying one just makes life a little nicer.
- Jersey dress – A jersey dress doesn’t show sweat. Black is best, but any color will successfully camouflage that you had to run a child to day camp at Saguaro Monument East and then have to look decent enough to meet your friend for coffee.
- Self-tanner – I’m pale with rosacea. It’s my best friend.
***And whatever you do, DO NOT wear old pink crocs to pick up your daughter from high school and proceed to get out of your car to help her with her stuff! I’m just saying…for a friend.
Holidays scream for metallics. You never see more gold, silver and jewel tone dresses in the stores than during the winter holidays. Here are some of my favorite ways to go full metal:
If you say you’ve never wanted to dress like a Ralph Lauren model, I will call you a liar to your face. Something about his aesthetic fits so well in this city with our rugged landscapes, stunning sunsets and abundance of ranches and western feels. I can easily see my beautiful friend Sara wrapping up in a blanket poncho waiting for her equestrian daughter to finish her lesson at the barn. Or my friend Sasha, who can rock a blanket wrap like no one else. So, if you’re looking to recreate this look, an amazing place to start is Boot Barn, which carries a huge selection of blanket ponchos as we speak, as well as, boots, belts, hats, etc. Honestly, this store is kind of a hidden treasure for western gear. If you want the real Ralph Lauren, online is likely the best option.
When you find yourself at a loss with the retail shopping in Tucson, here are two online clothing sites I recently discovered that are sure to help you stand out in a desert crowd:
Gracia – Launched by Joyce Kim in 1998, Gracia features moderately- priced, embellished tops and dresses that really top the hum-drum state of clothing options these days. From lace trench coats to architectural sleeves, Gracia apparel can be found not only on www.graciafashion.com, but also online at Rue La La and Nordstrom Rack.
Vici – I first saw the ad for Vici Collection, www.vicicollection.com on Pinterest as I was trying to figure out what to wear to a party with a ‘Festival” theme. Though this modern, California-cool line definitely caters to the smaller sizes, there are some beautiful–again moderately-priced– dresses, rompers, jumpsuits, tops, etc. Seriously, there are dresses on this site you won’t find anywhere else!
If Emily Blunt’s beautiful dress last night and Christian Siriano’s latest Insta posts are any indication, Barbie pink is the trending color right now. And honestly, I can’t think of anything the world needs more at this moment. Everything about the bubble gum-color exudes happy and pretty and harks back to childhood memories. Like, when you didn’t get the Barbie Corvette that you asked for, but realized your roller skate would work just as well!